In this episode of the podcast, I interview mama of two Jennifer, who just had her second baby a few months ago. During our chat she reflects on how different it has been breastfeeding her new baby girl Quinn and why she doesn’t want to make the same breastfeeding mistakes second-time around.
“Whenever I was going to breastfeed Quinn I wanted to make sure it was better than how I did with Cooper, in that any of the mistakes I made with him I didn’t want to make them with Quinn.”Jennifer
Four years have passed since Jennifer fed her little boy Cooper and their breastfeeding journey wasn’t always easy – you can read their breastfeeding story here. Whilst she admits to being more mentally prepared for breastfeeding this time, she has still done lots of googling and is working on perfecting the ‘nose to nipple’ latch technique! She also realises that whilst she’s breastfed before, she has a brand new baby who has not! Jennifer also opens up about the new challenge of juggling two children with very different needs, and how this has been made harder due to Covid-19 restrictions. She finishes off with some great advice on how to prepare your older child for their new sibling and seeing mummy breastfeed!
Listen to Jennifer’s story here!
Jennifer’s key talking points
- The breastfeeding mistakes she feels she made as a first-time mum
- How different it’s been breastfeeding second-time around
- Juggling the needs of a newborn and a four-year-old child
- How she helped prepare her son for his new baby sister and seeing mummy breastfeed
- How the pandemic has affected her maternity leave and overall breastfeeding experience
- The trials and tribulations of trying to get a boob-loving baby to take a bottle!
Source cited: Nose to nipple latch technique via the NHS website.